Fundraising for corporate and trade association political action committees (PACs) has always been essential. If you master PAC fundraising, you can amass the resources needed to accomplish your organization’s goals.
However, as inflation and recession worries loom, it may be harder to fundraise for PACs — let alone grow your PAC funds year over year. But there are ways to encourage more PAC giving, even in a rocky financial climate. This article lays out seven PAC fundraising ideas to help you increase your pool of funds:
7 PAC Fundraising Ideas
1. Email Marketing
One of the best communications strategies is to meet employees where they are rather than getting them to adopt a new channel. The same is true for increasing PAC contributions. If your employees are used to communicating via email, it can be a great channel for driving PAC contributions. But not every email will inspire your people to give. Here are a few tips to help you build a successful email campaign:
- Make emails personal: Weave personal information into emails and tailor messages to the specific person’s characteristics, needs, and priorities whenever possible. You can do this by using personalization tokens or by creating segmentation lists. For instance, you may send one message to a contributor from the past asking them to increase their contribution. At the same time, you can send separate emails to potential first-time contributors encouraging them to give.
- Make emails scannable: Your PAC members are busy, so it’s important to grab their attention quickly, hit the main points, and ask them to act. Lay out bullet points to highlight the reasons they should give, and always create a clear call to action (CTA).
- Make emails sound human: People will be more likely to contribute if they feel like the interaction is genuine. That’s why it’s important to write “ask” emails that feel human. To drive the best results possible, avoid stiff or robotic language, use contractions, and write in the second person.
- A/B test your emails: Write multiple versions of your subject lines. Then use A/B testing to identify which headlines drive the most engagement. This tactic can reveal your readers’ preferences and inform future email strategies.
2. Auto-Deduction Options
Another way to add a steady stream of contributions to a corporate PAC is by setting up auto-deduction via payroll. This option allows employees to automatically set aside a portion of their paycheck as a contribution to the PAC. That way, employees can decide to contribute one time, and they don’t have to worry about logging on to a site or writing a check consistently.
3. A Central Website for Your PAC
It’s essential to create a PAC website if you want to encourage more contributions. Your website will provide a single place where current and potential contributors can give, learn about events, and discover what the PAC is all about. Here are a few ways to build a PAC website that increases donations:
- Lay out the PAC’s purpose: Dedicate a page to your PAC’s mission and explain how PACs work. Use it to describe why your PAC exists and the positive difference you hope to make. This will help potential donors feel confident that they are giving to a cause they believe in.
- Display fundraising targets: Set up fundraising goals and display them on your site. This will motivate people to give and allow PAC members to track progress.
- Be transparent: If individuals think PAC money is going to a cause or politician they don’t support, they won’t give. That’s why it’s important to list where the PAC money has gone in the past and how you plan to distribute it in the future. To increase transparency, set up a page on your site that displays your PAC goals and spending records.
- Explain why to give: Explain how individuals can benefit from giving on your PAC website. That means focusing on the benefits they can feel. No matter your PAC’s goals, if you put the potential benefits front and center, people will be more likely to contribute.
4. PAC Events
Events can increase contributions from past contributors and attract first-time givers. Here are a few especially successful PAC events:
- Auctions: Hold online, silent, or live auctions to increase your PAC funding pool.
- Tours and Outings: Offer contributors a paid chance to tour a stadium, visit a historic venue, attend a night at the theater, or enjoy another outing with their teammates or fellow members.
- Guest speakers: If a political leader or public figure agrees with your PAC’s missions, bring them onsite for speaking events and sell tickets.
5. Charity Matches
When you create a charity match program, your organization promises to match an individual’s PAC contributions and send that money to a charity. That way, donors will know they’re making an even bigger difference when they contribute to the PAC.
6. Peer-to-Peer Fundraising
Individuals are often more likely to donate if a peer, friend, or coworker suggests it. That’s why peer-to-peer fundraising can be such a successful fundraising technique. To launch a peer-to-peer fundraising campaign, ask current contributors to call or text a set number of their peers and encourage first-time contributions.
7. Exclusive Donor Benefits
You can reward your top donors and encourage higher contributions by holding a special reception or handing out recognitions. One popular option is to set up a tier system that designates different giving clubs for different contribution levels. For example, you might divide exclusive donors into President’s Circle, Gold, and Silver levels. Then you can provide exclusive events, subscriptions to the Cook Political Report, donor lounge access during fly-ins, or other benefits for different tier members.
Learn More Ways to Drive Growth for Your PAC
As financial pressure increases, you can drive more contributions to your PAC by tapping into new fundraising ideas. However, that’s just the start. With Quorum’s PAC management software solution, you can easily raise more funds, disburse more strategically, and increase PAC participation.
Our solution helps you build custom websites, set up peer-to-peer campaigns, generate in-depth giving reports, and more, all on a single platform. Visit our PAC management software solutions page to learn how software can increase your PAC contributions.